- When are courses available?
- The surf and courses are scheduled as followed:
- 08.00 am – 10.00 am
- 10.00 am – 12.00 pm
- 01.00 pm – 03.00 pm
- Courses levels are dependent on the tides.
- Beginner courses are held on mid tides adding safety and ease to the learning process.
- Advance courses are held on the high tides offering more comprehensive conditions and powerful waves.
- Reef trips are generally held in the morning departing from the school at 7.30am to be in the water by 8am in Canggu or 8.30am in the boat in Sanur returning to the school by 11 am.
- Adult private will be scheduled dependent on the level of the surfer and the according required conditions.
- Kids’ courses are generally held on the low tide, due to the shallow water and small waves.
- The surf and courses are scheduled as followed:
- The courses in Sanur are scheduled around the tide (available water depth) in the Sanur Lagoon.
- Courses will be scheduled from 8am – 5pm.
- We require a minimum depth of 1.0m of water to operate our boats for surfing boat trip and taxi out.
- Courses levels are dependent on the tides
- Beginner Surfing courses are held on mid to high tide offering safer condition and deeper water.
- Advance Surfing courses can be held on all tides preferably on mid tide since the waves are more powerful.
- Stand Up Paddle level 1 and guided paddle require only a 0.8m depth.
- Beginner Kite Surfing courses can be held on low tides as they don’t require water, just light wind.
- Kite Surfing level 2 & 3 require a wind around 10knots to be held on all tides using the deep lagoon to the side of the school.
- Kite Surfing courses are held all year however June – September are the best month for consistent wind.
- All Wakeboarding levels require 10m depths to be held or using the deep lagoon to the side of the school.
- All Windsurfing levels require 10m depths, from light to strong wind.
Agents can call the Rip Curl School of Surf and request a monthly tide chart be faxed or emailed to them.
- What time do I get picked up?
- Nusa Dua, Sanur & Canggu pick up times would be 1 hour before the scheduled course time.
- Jimbaran pick up times would be 45 minutes before scheduled course time.
- Kuta, Legian and Seminyak pick up times would be 45 to 30 minutes before the scheduled course time.
- Nusa Dua, Canggu & Seminyak pick up times would be 1 hour before the scheduled course time.
- Jimbaran, Kuta & Legian pick up times would be 45 minutes before scheduled course time.
Student will be picked up by our air-conditioned and free wi-fi transport and are required to wait in your hotel lobby.
- What is included in the price?
The Rip Curl School of Surf will provide the guest with air-conditioned transport to and from their hotel (transports provide internet connection / wifi), water pick up transport for Sanur area, all guests will be supplied with Rip Curl Rash shirt, Rip Curl surf shorts, additionally for course in Sanur Rip Curl Booties (reef shoes), Rip Curl wetsuites and Rip Curl impact vests. Student facilities include changing room facilities, bathroom, fresh water showers, fresh towel, individual student lockers, Surf Yogi Zinc cream for face and SPF sunscreen for the arm and legs, Gath surf helmet, all necessary equipment for the individual course selected and drinking water before, during and after the course.
- Where are the courses held?
- Rip Curl School of Surf Legian has three locations for surf courses.
- Introductory and intermediate courses are held at Legian beach located at the bottom of Jalan Double Six (Jalan Arjuna), chosen for its safety and fun wave with its sand bottom beach break. With its sand bottom beach break it is the safest spot in Bali for learning to surf.
- Advanced and Reef course are held at Canggu, we utilize two separate reef breaks the first being the Old Man’s, named for its big slow rolling waves, best suited for long boards and first time reef surfers. The second being Tugu reef offering a longer more powerful wave with perfect lefts and rights, Parking and facilities are found in front of The Tugu Hotel. Both of these reefs have been selected due to large channels, offering easy entry and exiting point, unhidden paddle routes, easy resting points, both reefs and lava rock formation, not live corals.
- We also take our students to Sanur Reef (September to May). We can hold our entire beginner, intermediate and advanced courses from our spacious Sanur location. Escaping the wind and wet season water conditions of the Legian beaches. We use our reef boats to transport student out to a number of great surf breaks chosen on the day to suit the students required levels.
- Rip Curl School of Surf Sanur offers introductory, intermediate and advance surfing condition. The wide selection of reef break in front of the School is perfect for absolute beginner up to advance surfer. Flat water lagoon lies inside the waves and paddle channels to the sides give a safe and mellow environment to progress. Students enjoy white sand beach to wave transfer on our reef boats making the experience true to the ‘Surfer dream’.
- Rip Curl School of Surf Sanur offers All levels Stand Up Paddle, Kite Surfing, Wakeboarding and Wind Surfing condition.
- The School has plenty of beach front and large grassy area for set up and relaxation before and after lesson.
- How do I know I will be safe?
The school records all of their incidents and accidents, be it a bump on the head or a broken board. These incidents and accidents are then analyzed and changes are made to the curriculum to prevent such incidents from reoccurring. Surfing is a sport that carries minimal risk, so training and correct equipment and key factor to a safety. The Rip Curl School of Surf selects its equipment and trains their staff to minimize all risks. All beach staff are required to pass CPR and senior first aid courses yearly. All of our instructors are certified International Surf Instructor and current bronze medallion lifeguard holders (the same standard and requirements set by the Australian and New Zealand authorities).
- Can you guarantee that I will be a surfer or Stand Paddle boarder at the end of my course?
Due to the complexity of the courses, if a student is unable to complete and exercise to a satisfactory level, than this would hinder their progression to the next level, so the Rip Curl School offers an additional lesson to allow the student to better themselves and move on once their skill level has been lifted. The school also offers free usage of surf board after the course on the same day (depending on availability).
- What are the age restrictions on learning to surf?
Children under the age of 12 years old are required to take private lesson (50% discount from regular price for children under 12 years old), due to the amount of personal attention a child requires and also a 2 hours course can be very tiring for a big kid let alone a little one. We have developed a special curriculum for the under twelve’s private which progress the child through the same skills and knowledge as our regular curriculum but in less time and more fun. Our insurance covers anyone taking part in a course at Rip Curl School of Surf between the age of 5 and 65, however we have been known to teach kids as young as 4 and big kids as old as 78.
- What is the difference between SUP – Bali and Rip Curl School of Surf?
There is no difference in our services, standards, facilities, locations, equipment, instructors and teaching process. SUP - Bali in additional offers guiding program and equipment rentals. SUP – Bali is owned and operated by the same mother company of Rip Curl School of Surf and is our SUP wing, working with the Star Board SUP Company, testing prototype boards and retailing Star Board SUPs in Bali as well.